Fax: (412) 594-5619
Brett, a shareholder in the firm’s Insolvency and Creditor’s Rights Group at Tucker Arensberg, P.C., concentrates his practice in the areas of creditors’ rights and insolvency, loan workout and restructuring and landlord/tenant matters.
Since 1999, Brett has represented all types of creditors in federal and state court matters including bankruptcy, loan workout and restructuring, foreclosure and landlord/tenant matters. With a particular focus on secured creditors, Brett has gained extensive experience with the intricacies and nuances of federal bankruptcy law throughout the United States and state-court workouts and foreclosures in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Brett has also represented numerous landlords in federal bankruptcy matters and state-court landlord/tenant matters. Brett has been named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the area of insolvency and creditors’ rights annually since 2010.
Areas of Focus:
Foreclosure – Brett has represented a wide variety of clients including national financial institutions, alternative mortgage lenders in secondary market transactions and loan servicing institutions in foreclosure-related matters in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Examples include:
- Representation of national and local financial institutions, servicers and other mortgage lenders in residential and commercial mortgage foreclosure matters in Pennsylvania and Maryland.
- Representation of national financial institutions in litigation involving the Federal Truth in Lending (TILA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and other related statutes and regulations.
Bankruptcy – Brett has represented:
- National and local financial institutions, servicers and other mortgage lenders throughout the United States in matters involving real-estate secured loans
- Landlords in enforcement of lease actions
- National and local financial institutions throughout the United States in matters involving auto vehicle-secured loans
- Buyers and lenders at bankruptcy sales throughout the United States
Real Estate – Brett has gained an intimate knowledge of the real estate practice through his own experiences and representing clients including:
- Commercial and residential landlord/tenant litigation matters in Pennsylvania
- Commercial and residential landlord/tenant matters in Bankruptcy Court throughout the United States
- Purchase and sale of commercial and residential properties in Pennsylvania
- Negotiating and drafting leases for landlords and negotiating and reviewing leases for tenants
Areas of Practice: Insolvency and creditors’ rights and real estate
Articles and Presentations:
- Sheriff’s Sales in Pennsylvania, Moderator, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Spring 2014
- The National Chapter 13 Plan and Forms, Allegheny County Bar Association, December 2013
- Sheriff’s Sales in Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Spring 2012
- Short Sales, Deeds in Lieu & Receiverships, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Spring 2012
- Safely Representing Clients at Sheriff Sale, Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Annual Meeting in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, May 2012
Honors and Awards: Brett was named a Pennsylvania Rising Star in the area of Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®, a publication of Philadelphia Magazine.
Memberships and Activities: Brett is an active member of the Allegheny County Bar Association where he serves as Treasurer for the Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section as well as being the past Chairman of the Bench/Bar Conference.
Brett is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association where he serves as the Secretary for the Real Property Section.
Brett is a member of the Board of the Pittsburgh Aviation Animal Rescue Team.
Brett is a member of the Board of the Law Firm Alliance, which is a strategic alliance of mid-sized law firms created to provide clients with capable and responsive legal services through a reliable national and international network of member firms.
Jurisdictions: Brett is admitted to practice in all state courts in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Maryland, as well as the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan.
Education and Background: Brett graduated from the University of Maryland in 1995 with a Bachelor of Science in business administration and a minor in economics. Brett received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1999.